Pre-employment safeguarding checks

The following statutory checks are a mandatory requirement for anyone working in schools and nurseries. We will check most of these during your registration meeting and will follow up others afterwards. This is what we need from you:

Identity Check

This link describes the qualifying ID checks in more details but to keep it simple, more often than not the two of following documents are perfect:

  • Photo Driving Licence
  • Passport
  • Full Birth Certificate

If you don’t have two of these, follow this guidance – Valid ID/Right to Work Documents

Proof of Address

A bank statement or utility bill dated within the last 3 months

Right to Work in the UK

Most commonly this is your UK/EU passport and proof of National Insurance via a card or payslip. If you do not have these, follow this guidance – Valid ID/Right to Work Documents.

Disclosure and Barring Service Check (DBS)

You must have an enhanced DBS Enclosure registered with the Child Workforce. This should also be registered on the DBS update service in order to check the children’s barred list annually. If you don’t have a DBS, you can apply for one with us.

If you have worked overseas, an overseas police check may be required where applicable.

Disqualification under the Childcare Act

You will be asked to sign a declaration that you are not disqualified from working with children.

Prohibition from Teaching Check

If you are a teacher, we are required to check your teacher reference number against the NCTL database.


Your original qualification certificate (plus QTS certificate if you are a teacher).

At least 2 References

You are required to provide us with 2 referees we can contact prior to you working. You supply these on your application form, it is up to us to do the rest!